Saturday, May 19, 2007

Energy

Though I’ve never had any kind of turn of speed in anything, I’ve always had lots of energy. I’ve always been able to keep going for ages, doing jobs, or walking, or swimming.

Gradually, over the last couple of years as my diabetes has got worse, my energy has dwindled too – but because it’s happened fairly gradually, I couldn’t really compare with how it used to be.

High blood sugar causes you to feel tired because all the sugar is sloshing around in your blood instead of going to fuel your muscles and your brain. The Metformin tablets I was put on seemed to put me in a kind of slow, grey haze.

Now I’ve cut down to one Metformin tablet and started taking one Gliclazide tablet a day. Metformin helps your body to use the insulin it’s already producing (but makes me feel very ill in the process). Gliclazide boosts the body’s supply of insulin.

Since the beginning of the year, in a determined effort to get fitter, I’ve been eating very healthily and having lots of exercise. I’ve lost about a stone. But none of it helped – I still felt tired all the time, and found it hard to remember what it felt like to have energy.

However, I started on the Gliclazide about a week ago and suddenly I am transformed. I still feel a bit queasy sometimes from the one Metformin tablet - - but my energy levels have soared beyond belief.

I’ve done lots of walking this week, and at swimming on Thursday evening I was – to my amazement – back to my old swimming speed of a length a minute, so did 40 lengths, which is a kilometre, in 40 minutes, which delighted me. (I must add that this is not at all fast for a Proper Swimmer. But it’s jolly fast for me.)

Years ago, I remember my grandmother, then aged about ninety (which, I must add, is VERY VERY MUCH OLDER THAN I AM) had been ill for some weeks, and had recovered. She came into the kitchen – the same kitchen where we live now – and did a little dance. “I feel better! I feel better!” she said.

That’s how I feel. I haven’t taken good health for granted ever since I nearly died in 1984, but oh boy, good health is important. How I hope this energised feeling continues.

BUT - - Gliclazide makes you feel very hungry and predisposes you to put on weight. Every silver lining has a cloud.

1 Comments:

Blogger MrsG said...

Swimming for 40 minutes is amazing - never mind how far you go! (Though 40 lengths is awesome!) Well done. x

12:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home