Saturday, March 03, 2007

Springing

Here's one of my favourite Victorian poems: it's by Robert Browning:
The year's at the spring
And day's at the morn;
Morning's at seven;
The hillside's dew-pearled;
The lark's on the wing;
The snail's on the thorn:
God's in His heaven—
All's right with the world!
It's not a poem ever to recite at any kind of reciting-poetry occasion because you will say "The snail's on the wing - - " and then start giggling uncontrollably. Trust me, I know. However, it does sum up my feelings about Spring - that sudden feeling of winter's-over joy.
Not that we've really had much of a winter here: I think we did have a light dusting of snow one day accompanied by much panic, and a day of really very scary winds.
But now we have catkins - always very cheery, I think: - these were in Ingleton last weekend:

And the daffodils are coming out. This one was in Golden Acre Park, near Leeds, yesterday. I didn't pick it, of course, just wanted it to show its best side for the camera:


And here, also at Golden Acre Park, are some winter trees enjoying the spring sunshine.


And, as I mentioned on Thursday, there is frogspawn in the pond which to me is the key indicator that Spring is on its way. When I was a child, there was very occasionally frogspawn in late February (I kept an annual frogspawn diary. I was that sort of child) so that hasn't changed too much.

But daffodils? I always associate them with Easter and even a very early Easter happens well into March. Global warming again, I think.



1 Comments:

Blogger HM said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

1:10 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home