Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Saddest Song in the World

Driving back from the supermarket this morning, I suddenly realised that I was no longer able to see properly. No medical reason, fortunately – it was just that I was listening to the radio and, without any kind of warning, they had suddenly started playing Sinead O’Connor’s Nothing Compares to You, which is the saddest song in the world and which always makes me cry.

You may well remember the video which accompanied it, which consisted mostly of Sinead O’Connor singing and crying. And it gets me every time: I just need to hear the beginning:

It’s been seven hours and fifteen days
Since you took your love away

That’s it. I’m in floods of tears. It’s an unusual song – strange rhythm, strangely repetitive tune building up to the chorus:

‘Cos nothing compares
Nothing compares to you

It doesn’t look much written down but she sings it with tremendous passion and gets every nuance out of it.

When it came out in 1990 I was suffering from post-natal depression, grieving – after five years - for the loss of my first baby and unable, therefore, to enjoy my second baby Emily as I should have been able to. So although it’s a love song I also tuned in to the loss and grief in it.

When they’re going to play it on the radio, I do think they should warn me first.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ailbhe said...

Since you been gone I can do whatever I want, I can see whomever I choose. I can eat my dinner in a fancy restaurant, but nothing, no nothing can take away these blues...

Girl you better try to have fun no matter what you do, but he's a fool -

Yup, saddest in the whole wide world. It's been making me cry since I was 11 years old. It's made me want to shave my head ever since, too.

9:24 pm  
Blogger John said...

Written by Prince, who, as we know, later became known as the Artist Formally Known as Prince, for copyright reasons.

The video was directed by John Maybury, who, according to the imbd has directed some 21 films, none of which I've heard of.

The tear, according to some sources, was real.

11:44 pm  
Blogger John said...

[informally he is often known as Dave]

10:59 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home