Tuesday, August 15, 2006

How to Be Topp by Jeffrey Archer

Oh well, it had to happen. Jeffrey Archer's got a blog. Now far be it from me to give this great writer and pillar of society any publicity, but I was interested to note that much of the recent entries are devoted to plugging his forthcoming book (no, I'm not giving you another link, there are limits).

What's worse, his book is illustrated by Ronald Searle, whose work I've always loved, especially the wonderful Nigel Molesworth books, which Geoffrey Willans wrote and Ronald Searle illustrated.

At the moment I'm reading Surviving the Sword, by Brian MacArthur, about prisoners of the Japanese in the Second World War. Ronald Searle was himself a prisoner of the Japanese and there are several of his drawings in the book, such as one of Hellfire Pass in Thailand.

Now he's illustrating Jeffrey Archer's latest: it's a bit of a shame if you ask me (and, let's face it, nobody is asking me).

One of those people who always bounces back, our Jeffrey, no matter what. If the things that have happened to him - I'm not accusing him of actually doing anything at all, we note, since he does tend to sue rather - had happened to me, I would be hiding under a stone quivering with embarrassment and muttering "Oh noooooooooooooooooooooo!" at thirty-second intervals. But not Jeffrey, oh no, his bounce remains unsquished.

I wonder what are my chances of getting him to link to this site?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see that poor old Ronald Searle has spent the last 30 years living in a remote village in Haute-Provence. Could it be that he's never actually heard of Jeffrey Archer? It's the only logical explanation, I think.

8:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home