Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The Village Schoolmaster

In the late 1970s I was doing a postgraduate course at the Sherman Theatre in Cardiff, and I shared a flat with four other girls. We were quite a multi-national group: a British Asian girl, a Ugandan Asian girl, another English girl, a Nigerian girl and me. We were all postgraduates studying different things.

The course I was doing was a Postgraduate Diploma in Theatre Studies. It was a new course and there were about sixteen people doing it, many of them from overseas. Several were from Nigeria.

One of the Nigerian students on my course was quite a bit older than the rest of us. He was an actor back in Nigeria, in a television soap called The Village Schoolmaster. Guess what it was about?

The actor on my course – sadly I’m not certain of his surname, but I think his first name was Femi – played the title role, and had done so for many years. Finally, longing for a change, he had managed to get a year’s leave of absence from the soap to do the course in Cardiff, leaving the Village to carry on without its Schoolmaster, in a Hamlet-without-the-Prince kind of a way. After the year’s absence, he was due to return to his role, probably forever.

So there he was in Cardiff, and I had a book he wanted to borrow. Could he call round and collect it that evening? Of course, I said.

So, later on that evening, there was a knock at the door of our shared flat. Bola, the Nigerian girl, who had the room nearest the front door, answered it. I heard Femi’s voice, so I went to the door. Bola said nothing.

I handed Femi the book, we exchanged a few pleasantries, and off he went.

It was then I noticed that Bola was standing stock still, still saying nothing, with a somewhat “seen-a-ghost” look.

“Are you okay, Bola?”

“That was - - “ she said, incredulously, “that was the VILLAGE SCHOOLMASTER!”

Bola had travelled thousands of miles from Nigeria to a foreign land where she knew nobody. And when she innocently answered the door, there, standing on the doorstep, was the Nigerian equivalent of Ken Barlow.

No wonder she was surprised.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So who is Ken Barlow?

10:08 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She didn't know. Really, she didn't!

10:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home