Thursday, July 28, 2011

Madame, Not One Man is Selfless

"Madame, not one man is selfless: I name not one, madam."

It sounds like a quotation from one of Shakespeare's more obscure works. But it's not. It's a palindrome. It reads the same backwards as forwards.

I love palindromes (let's face it, I like most things to do with words.) I came across the one above only recently.

Perhaps the best known ones are "Madam, I'm Adam" and the one that Napoleon's supposed to have said when he was imprisoned on the island of Elba: "Able was I ere I saw Elba."

Of course I don't believe it for a moment. He wouldn't have been speaking English, for a start. I think this palindrome is a very loose translation of what he actually said, which was "Ohhh - - merde."

My favourite is one I've mentioned on this blog before, because it has a likeable spookiness about it:

"Live dirt, up a sidetrack carted, is a putrid evil." Glorious!

If you know any good ones, please do tell me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Norma is as selfless as I am, Ron.

3:46 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.

4:27 pm  
Anonymous Shooting Parrots said...

My favourite is in Latin jus because it sounds clever:

"In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni" which translates as “we enter the circle after dark and are consumed by fire”.

The Palindromic Sketch by Dan and Dan is also worth watching.

10:29 am  
Blogger Silverback said...

Do geese see God ?

4:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home