Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Like a Sponge

I've been having one-to-one interviews with some medical students today, and what a grand bunch of thinking, caring, intelligent, insightful young adults they were.

I hope they keep all these qualities. At the most basic level of selfishness, let's face it, if I get to be old, they'll be the senior consultants who'll be looking after me.

They were all talking about their forthcoming exams, and very openly about lots of other things too, such as their hopes and fears for the future.

"I'm not sure I'm bright enough for this," said one girl. "Some of the others just seem to soak up knowledge like a sponge. I don't, I have to work like crazy to remember such things as all the anatomy. I'm not a sponge. I'm not even quality kitchen roll. I'm the cheapo stuff from Wilkinson's."

"I used to think I was clever," said one chap, "because in school, I was. But since I started here, with all these clever people, I'm perennially surprised by just how thick I am."

I loved the way they were happy to talk so openly, and didn't feel they had to try to impress me with their brilliance - though some of them clearly were brilliant!

I came out of the session with my heart thoroughly gladdened.

5 Comments:

Anonymous ruth said...

What a lovely image that medical student came up with 'I'm not a sponge, I'm not even quality kitchen roll. I'm the cheapo stuff from Wilkinson's.' Who says medics have no imagination? Some obviously do. (Actually I don't think anyone does say that but I stand by my assertion.)

11:49 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Gladdened because they felt insecure/self-doubting/inferior? Isn't that just a teensy weensy bit nasty? Too much Simon Cowell methinks...

1:06 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

Ruth - I think people DO say medics have no imagination which is why I was so pleased that these do!
YP - oh, not at ALL! Gladdened because they were funny and imaginative and open and able to talk about their insecurities and fears.

8:14 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a medical student friend who likened their learning process to soaking it up like a sponge... and she went on to work in urology and geriatrics.
I think there's a metaphor hiding in there somewhere.

Lucy

10:51 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

Lucy - - yes, there's a splendid metaphor in that story!

9:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home