Friday, February 08, 2008

Vile Dinners

Metformin, which is the drug that I take for my diabetes, tends to make me feel slightly queasy. I don't notice it all the time, but it seems to be worse if I'm hungry.

Things on a menu or in a cafe that, in pre-Metformin days, just seemed slightly unappetizing, now make me go EWWWWWWWWWWW NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And one such was ahead of me in the queue at the university canteen today, in my lunch break between medical roleplays.

Since I'd spent the morning working on such issues as high blood pressure and high cholesterol, there was no way I was going to eat anything unhealthy for lunch. But as I queued to pay for my baked potato, salad and fat-free yogurt plus fresh orange juice, my halo glinting slightly in the fluorescent lights, I noticed what the young woman in front of me was about to eat.

A huge container of chips, for a start. Now I love chips, but the portion was the size of Birmingham.

On top of the chips she had grated cheese.

Now then, you may like this combination, but I most definitely don't. Horrible idea.

But, WORSE - -

On top of the cheese she poured about half a pint of gravy.

I don't like gravy with chips, for a start. Chips should be a thick-cut accompaniment to fish, or thin French fries as an accompaniment to almost anything else, really. Anything else except cheese.

But the idea of chips with gravy with cheese! I ask you, honestly, is this the kind of thing we want going on in our universities?

3 Comments:

Blogger The Birdwatcher said...

I have been known to come back on a saturday night after rugby clutching a bag of chips and boiled rice in my hands with absolutley no idea how it got there. Not very healthy is it.

7:07 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG that's gross to eat as much as she did. Ever since I stopped smoking I've become more careful about what I eat. It will come across to some as smugness and sanctimony but I've gone from treating my body like a rubbish dump to actually ensuring I eat healthily.

11:24 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Like Sig said, I am very careful what I eat nowadays. Only good quality chips, melt in your mouth spare ribs and crunchy battered cod for this double heart attack survivor.

Oh yes.

As for Ms. Obesity at the Uni, lets be gracious and say she was pregnant and you know how that goes.........

My pregnancy is entering it's 56th year and not expecting to deliver any time soon.

11:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home