Monday, February 04, 2008

A Useful Source of Stupid Women

Well, it's under two weeks now until Emily and Gareth get married on February 16, so this week The Wedding is in my thoughts. In fact I even bought a necklace this morning. Real imitation silver with interesting dangly bits. Fifteen quid. Very pretty. It's just about doubled my jewellery collection.

According to an article in The Times today, which caught my eye, "many brides would like their bridesmaids to sign agreements promising not to put on weight or get pregnant before their big day, a survey suggests".

I always love that phrase a survey suggests. It suggests an exhaustive ten-year research project covering most of Western Europe: whereas we know it's probably a quick whip round the office saying "Whaddya think?"

Anyway, the next bit says:

"Almost half of those questioned said that they would sack a bridesmaid who did not abide by the contract."

And where was this important survey carried out?

Amongst the readers of You and Your Wedding magazine, that's where.

Now, I know that lists of names can be an invaluable marketing tool, and it's possible for companies to buy them - - people who like gardening - - people who like holidays in France - - people who like things made out of rubber - - that kind of thing.

If ever a company needs a list of the Most Stupid Women In The Country, I can advise them that they could do worse than seek out the list of readers of You and Your Wedding magazine.

2 Comments:

Blogger MrsG said...

Ha! Surely today's cynical bride wants fat bridesmaids to make her look all the more fabulous? :-) But seriously... I have heard of bridesmaids sacked for other things - being evil psychos or trying to take over the wedding or (for example) sleeping with the groom-to-be... who are these people that have to sign contracts? Idiots....

8:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Daphne my name's Adam Daley I'm a trainee journalist from Leeds University.

I'm doing a 'real lives' piece for my course and I'd love the opportunity to do it on you and your Dad. From reading your blog I find you both really interesting and think it could be a really nice piece.

Its only a five to seven minute piece and so all it would take a maxium of two days though I'd plan to do it in one. I thought if you and your Dad wanted to do it we could do it over a day in the park.

I completely understand if you dont want to or think your Dad is not up to it or for whatever reason can't. I just thought it could be a nice opportunity for you two to have a little filmed piece about you and your relationship with each other. I would of course give you a copy and you could perhaps post it on your blog if you wanted. The piece will only be seen by me and my lecturer as its specifically a piece for my course and wont be publically broadcasted.

It is an assessed piece for my course and so I have to ask that if you feel that you and/or your Dad wouldn't be suited to being on camera (sound-wise) to let me know.

I wont be filming until late April so there is plenty of time to think it over if needed.

My email address is adam_daley@hotmail.co.uk let me know if you are interested.

All the best

Adam Daley

(p.s im really sorry about posting this on your blog but it was the only way of contacting you.)

10:48 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home