Thursday, November 03, 2011

Mushy Facebook Statuses

I'm not one of these people who goes on and on and on about how they don't see the point of Facebook or Twitter. I am on both and like both and look at both a lot. I think they're fun and I also like the way I can now keep in touch with far-flung relatives very easily - and I DO.

I don't like the games that appear on Facebook, such as Farmville etc - but that's probably because I'm just not very into games. For those who like that kind of thing (as Jean Brodie said) that is the kind of thing that they like, and that's fine - it's just not for me.

What I don't like are what I would describe as Mushy Facebook Statuses. They go something like this:

If you think that the world should be a better place, and that poverty should be done away with, and that nobody should ever be ill, and that everyone should be really happy all the time, post this as your status for one hour to show your solidarity with everyone else who's fallen for this meaningless crap.

(Except it doesn't usually say the last bit.)

I hate it! If you want to go and do some good in the world, then kindly go and DO it. Don't just put empty guff on Facebook about it. Pah!

12 Comments:

Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I agree with you completely! But the prevailing attitude among the mush-posters seems to be, "Since I had a good, noble, fairly popular, non-controversial thought, I want to get credit for having had it without actually doing anything constructive or donating any money to alleviate any of the suffering in the world, and furthermore I want to make you feel guilty for not having had the thought yourself until I brought it to your attention, so so now I am ahead of you in line for a great big pat on the head from the cosmos because I am such a wonderful person."

8:27 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Just one "so"...

8:28 pm  
Blogger Diz said...

'Like'

9:28 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

I've grown to hate any FB comment that contains the words 'post this as your status' and not just mushy ones. Like ones about having a mother, sister, aunt that you love. Or religious and political ones.

Saw a great one the other day about standing up to bullying that ended with something like 'I know 95% of people won't post this but caring ones will'

Hello ? Isn't that in itself a form of bullying ?

9:34 pm  
Blogger Helsie said...

Couldn't agree more..... and what bugs me even more is the way they try to make you feel guilty if you don't play along.
Cheers

9:53 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

I thought that Facebook was just for egotistical young people - not for old codgers.

10:16 pm  
Blogger WendyCarole said...

I don't like them either and think som eof them are the modern version of chain letters.

I post boring stuff about sunny days and the washing being out


Having trouble posting this up!

1:36 pm  
Blogger Daphne2 said...

I do so agree. I have FB friends who pretty much only post those kind of chain letter messages. Today there's a slushy one about daughters - I love my daughters and they know it, I have no need to tell the whole world. This has annoyed me today too "There's about 63 million people in the UK, so how come less than 9k have signed to save #Coastguard Stations? SIGN NOW!" I probably will sogn it at some stage but the SIGN NOW is really not needed. There are also some quite nasty ones too - right wing racist "Send all asylum seekers home" type messages - I tend to "hide" those so called friends.

10:39 am  
Anonymous Best Facebook Statuses said...

This post seems to be quite interesting, which includes lot of information which is really excellent.

5:25 am  
Anonymous singulair said...

You have good experience. TWill definately keep close track of these pages.


Actos | Tricor | Avalide | Accupril

10:34 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As i go through your post, which seems to be really excellent. Its really funny. I really enjoyed a lot.
Cosplay Costume Store
Assassin's Creed Costumes

5:30 am  
Anonymous website development company said...

Thanks for posting this informative article This is a really good read for me. Hey this is a great post. I amm going to email this to my buddies. Thanks for posting this informative article I was searching some information.

7:31 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home