Sunday, February 13, 2011

A Trip to Sweden

"And Sunday, Stephen," they'll be saying in Stockholm tomorrow, "was the day before you came here."

Yes, when you work for a Scandinavian company, as Stephen does, foreign travel is the name of the game. Another town, another train. That kind of thing.

I'm taking him to the airport in the morning, of course. "Does your mother know you're not going swimming tomorrow?" asked Stephen. "Yes, I said to her: Mum, knowing me, knowing you, we'll probably go on Wednesday instead. Wouldn't want to miss it."

Stephen's a bit worried that he might meet his Waterloo in Amsterdam as he has a very quick change there. Then, once he arrives in Sweden, he has meetings all day Tuesday. From 8am to 7.30pm. "Mamma Mia!" remarked Silverback in horror when I told him about this ridiculously long day. For some reason, that exclamation inspired me to write this blog post. I'm not sure quite how, but I am grateful to him.

Stephen's back on Wednesday - I'm going to meet him at the airport. I'll be in our office and it'll be busy and I do tend to lose track of the time but he'll just have to take a chance on me remembering. If he greets me with "I've been waiting for you" I'll know I should have set off earlier.

It's an important trip, with big contracts to discuss and competitive tendering. The winner takes it all, of course, as usual.

Stockholm does look interesting and I'd love to visit it in the future. Meanwhile, I've been trying to remember what it is that Sweden's famous for. Volvo cars, I think.

10 Comments:

Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I spent a month in Stockholm, from Feb. 1 to Mar. 1, in 1969, for my employer, IBM. It was pretty cold and pretty dark, but one of my best memories.

Stephen will be back before you know it.

11:05 pm  
Anonymous Ruth said...

Wasn't the chef in the Muppets Swedish? Or am I just being a muppet?

11:09 pm  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

Ouch. And I bet I missed some.

11:50 am  
Blogger Silverback said...

Why do some blogs just go on and on and on ? Not yours of course.

Btw, as you owe me one,thanks for giving me a mention just like that. I mean when all is said and done, I know there's something going on, the way old friends do !

(that's 6 to me ;-))

7:55 pm  
Blogger Jan Blawat said...

You've been listening to ABBA!

9:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the music, Daphne
Lucy
Did they record 'Graniqua' as well? It's my verification word.

10:01 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Ahhh thanks, everyone, for your comments! And if you didn't realise quite what I was on about in this post I suggest you abba nother look at it! Sorry. But not VERY sorry or I wouldn't have done it in the first place!
Lucy - "Graniqua" was a follow-up to Chiquitita of course. It wasn't quite so successful.

6:45 pm  
Blogger Jan Blawat said...

Abba Gold is always on the CD player in my car, which has awesome speakers. Whenever the news is too depressing or life is too dull, I play it as loud as I can. Gotta love 'em.

7:33 pm  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

There was a radio play on BBCR4 today just for you.

9:27 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think I was confusing it in my mind with Fernando.
Lucy
Weird verify: mkysings
How does it know?

6:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home