Monday, February 08, 2010

Far Away - - - and Freezing

Snow eh? Well, that's not news, even though it does look chilly.

But this particular snow is in Helsinki, which you no doubt know is in Finland. It's where Stephen is tonight, for work.

Last winter when Stephen went there he was amazed by the frozen sea, which he'd never seen before.

It's a country of only about four million people, and lots of forests with a few wolves and bears and, further north, reindeer. The trains say such things as "Moscow" on the front, which made it all seem very far away.

It also has a very old and extremely difficult language where you make up words as you go along - - - mind you, I taught teenagers who did that in Leeds.

I do think it's great that Stephen took this photo in Helsinki this evening and put it on our computer in Leeds, where I just found it. If you know about how this kind of thing works you won't be surprised by this - - - but I am always surprised and delighted.

I hope he'll bring me back a reindeer, I've always rather liked them.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I love the immediacy of the computer, too.

12:04 am  
Anonymous Ruth said...

Just because you've had some snow in Leeds recently I don't think you should be thinking about inflicting West y
Yorkshire on reindeer or should that be the other way round. Though I suppose they could make a good lawnmower substitute.

7:23 am  
Anonymous Ruth said...

Note to self - really should preview comments before posting. Sorry for iPhone induced typo

7:27 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I have never seen a big electric sign with the letters backward before. Couldn't they afford another one for people coming from the opposite direction? Or does everyone read backward in Finland?

2:06 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

"I hope he'll bring me back a reindeer, I've always rather liked them." Mmm... I like reindeer too. The liver is undoubtedly the best part, roasted dripping on a stick over red-hot pinewood embers. Not too keen on dried reindeer meat though - it's like leather.

4:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home