Thursday, December 24, 2009

In the Bleak Midwinter

It's the wrong sort of snow.

This is the kind of snow that we had when I was a child. This isn't modern snow. Modern snow dribbles down from the sky in a scared and tentative manner and then melts.

Today we have the kind of snow that I remember from years ago, drifting down from the sky in fluffiness, like an explosion in a pillow factory. It makes everything different.

It's silent, and a bit spooky. Last night, leaning out of the bedroom window, I took this photo of the branches outside. No wonder people were scared of the dark if this is the kind of thing they used to see in the Olden Days.

This morning, the view of our garden, looking towards our mother's house, looked a bit cosier:

So, all that singing about I'm dreaming of a white Christmas has finally paid off, and we're finally going to get one. And do we like it? - - er - - no. When it comes to snow, I think I prefer the melting kind.

And, actually, if nobody minds, I think I'll have a summer morning on Lake Como, Italy, instead.

Aaaaah! That's better.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Milo said...

Liking the snow pics. There is none down here in the far SE. Bit damp but no snow.

6:12 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Congratulations (on the snow and the summer trip to Italy)!

Still Christmas Eve here....

10:36 pm  
Anonymous Jo said...

we have no snow here in france just glorious weather... clear blue sky... oh you would hate it...
I could stand out side in my swim suit fresh out of the hot tub... oh you wouldnt like it!!!

I know you all hate me now!!!
http://www.countrygites.com/

11:26 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home