Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Sting

I wasn't really ever going to get round to doing anything about the wasps' nest in the eaves.

Live and let live, I thought, and anyway a wasps' nest is rather beautiful, a little round papery work of art.

Then, you may recall, a few days ago one of the wasps got into the lounge and stung me on my finger. It could have been much worse, as it actually landed on my eyelid and it was only when I put my hand up to find out what was on my eye that it stung me on my hand. But what if it had stung me on my eye, I thought?

And then Olli and Gareth's friend David sent me a message on Facebook pointing out that he's a qualified wasp-wrangler and would come and kill them all for me.

And suddenly, in two days, I'd gone from Live and Let Live to Kill The Little Bastards.

So here's a sight fit to frighten any wasp:

And here's David, up in the eaves, squirting his Very Very Poisonous Powder everywhere.

So now I know what I am. A pacifist and nature-lover.

Well, that's what I am right until the moment when something annoys me and then I'm the North Leeds equivalent of Vlad the Impaler. Goodbye, wasps.

2 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Yeah, goodbye wasps and hello RSPCA - assuming they have a branch in cruel Leeds. I think I must have been a Buddhist priest in another life because I would never kill an insect - with perhaps the exception of a mosquito. You mentioned this - kids in schools creating fuss about wasps, spiders etc. - I would always calmly scoop them up and toss them out of a window - which may or may not be in line with Buddhist teachings. By the way, they have many insects in Italy.

6:41 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Debby - yes, he was!
YP - - as a matter of fact I wouldn't usually kill insects either, I'd encourage them to leave via the nearest window. But there were hundreds of these wasps all trying to get IN through the nearest window.

7:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home