Sunday, August 09, 2009

Piel de Sapo

I've never found a melon that I don't like. Honeydew melons, watermelons, Galia melons - - I like them all. I'd find it a tricky choice to choose a favourite. Delicious and full of vitamins.

But recently a new kind of melon has graced the fruit shops of Leeds. Okay, it's not new at all - - but it's new to me.

A Piel de Sapo melon. This one actually didn't come from a fruit shop: it came from Costco when Silverback kindly took me there t'other day. It was oval - - like a green, blotchy and rough rugby ball.

Here's how it looked once we'd cut it open:

It was absolutely delicious: one of the best melons I've ever eaten and I'll certainly buy them again. I don't remember seeing these in the local shops here prior to this summer. I like just about all fruit so I think I would have spotted it - - I wonder why they haven't been here before?

Piel de Sapo - - ah, it has a romantic Spanish sound to it - - - hot summer days - - beaches - -

It means Toad Skin.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Milo said...

I've never been a huge fan of melon.

My favourite fruit is mango. I eat it copiously when in Africa visiting the old man.

I eat most other types of fruit. I like fruit salads, too, though don't have them often unfort.

10:24 pm  
Anonymous Ruth said...

That Toad Skin melon looks delicious... mmm, best to call it by it's Spanish name. Perhaps that's why it's only available in Costco. Tesco, Waitrose and Sainsbury's buyers might be too fluent in Spanish.

8:57 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

How come you placed the remains of rotting fish in the centres of your melon halves? An odd combination.

11:52 am  
Blogger Debby said...

LMAO! Toad skin! I was agreeing with you about the lovely name and then I read that...glad I'd taken my last sip of coffee or I might've spat it all over the screen!

When Ian told me about the melon you bought, we googled it as I'd not heard of it before. We don't have them here, but I'll sure try it next summer when I go over there!

3:00 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Milo - I remember reading with fascination when you wrote that fruit in Africa tastes better because it's fresher - I'd never thought of that!
Ruth and Debby - yes, things sound so much better in Spanish or Italian, don't they?
YP - - I don't think retirement is suiting you. Have you considered a swift return to work?

6:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home