Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Beyond a Joke Now

Oh, come on, I know I'm British and hence feel obliged to bang on and on about the weather, but this is getting beyond a joke.

Firstly, today the rain was such in Leeds that there was a whole build up of stationary cars, up to their knees in water, and I had to go a different way round, windscreen wipers going like crazy, to get to the M1 on my way to John's studio in Huddersfield. And I was wearing my black cords - - favourite trousers from last winter. WINTER, please note. In Huddersfield I went to Sainsbury's and bought myself, amongst other things, a nice warm jumper.

A jumper! In August! In August a jumper should be a totally alien garment, and I should barely be able to remember what it is. Once in August I went away to Abergavenny for three days and didn't take any kind of jumper, or waterproof, or anything. That was about ten years ago, in the days when we had Summer.

Then Katrin told me that in Bavaria, where she comes from, it has been so hot and dry that the apples have been falling off the trees without ripening.

And then, this afternoon I saw some of Silverback's excellent films of America (thank you). Where it was 100 degrees Fahrenheit and the sun was blazing down.

When I finally climbed out of the Grand Canyon and looked out of the window the sun was shining through the Leeds clouds, to my amazement.

It lasted about five minutes and then started raining again.

In November I'm going to Barcelona, because Stephen's going to the Tech-Ed conference there, and I'm going with him for a few days. It's Computer Geek Heaven. But you have to be Half Man Half Computer to go to it, and since I'm not, I shall be off exploring Barcelona. Which is quite a big deal to me, because, as I think I've mentioned before, I haven't been on a plane since 1999, and I've never been to Spain.

So I'm looking forward to that: but meanwhile, I just want some SUNSHINE. Nothing special: just some ordinary sunshine where you can sit out in the garden at lunchtime, or lie on a rug with a cold drink next to you. Last summer was really non-existent for our family as the Communist was ill throughout it, so although I think there was some sunshine, we mostly spent it visiting the hospital, so I feel it's been ages and ages and ages since I sat outside on the lawn, next to the honeysuckle.

Today, as a matter of fact, I haven't been working and I've had a really enjoyable day. But, in general, this relentless, tedious rain is really getting me down. Enough!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was taken to Barcelona for a special birthday in 2004. It's a fantastic city. My birthday is in January, we went in February. One day we sat outside at a street cafe for a while, until we realised we were getting sunburnt. In February!

Have a great time in November.

9:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home