Saturday, March 01, 2008

The Carnival is Over

I remember this song from when I was very - VERY - young. I have always loved Judith Durham's voice. I remember her as being impossibly grown-up and impossibly beautiful - and, looking at this video, she's really not either of those: she looks very young to me now. Sighhhhh.

I looked at her website with its somewhat overwritten home page and was pleased to learn that her real name was Judy Cock. No idea why she changed it.

Anyway, I still love her voice, and I still love this song.



4 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

I admit to having their Greatest Hits album (downloaded of course) as they were part of my "middle of the road" musical upbringing.

Folk, showbands and a bastardised version of American C&W were all I had back then and when you realise Val Doonican and Jim Reeves were top of the pops in those days, then The Seekers were almost rock and roll !!

I once read they'd been on tour and the next morning the cleaners found their beds made, the carpet vacuumed and the furniture polished. Eat your heart out, Keith Moon.

3:45 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Oneof my favourites too, Daphne. Seems such a long time ago now.

7:50 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

It LOOKS such a long time ago, too, Jennyta, from the grainy old film.
Oh, I love your Seekers room-cleaning anecdote, Ian - wonderful! My parents' cutting-edge Modern Music collection consisted ENTIRELY of a Val Doonican LP and Rolf Harris's Sun Arise - everything else was classical, and if I ever tried to play anything that wasn't on our red Dansette Record Player, the Communist would rumble on about "can't hear the words" and "all that modern rubbish" until I couldn't stand it and gave up. So the Seekers would have been most definitely rock and roll in our house!

8:53 am  
Blogger John said...

My mother told me I couldn't play my Led Zepplin record on the Decca Hi-Fidelity Black Box, because it would damage the needle. She regularly played Beethoven's Ninth, I could never work out how that kept the needle undamaged.

10:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home