Monday, March 31, 2008

Everyday Photos

I love looking at old photos, both my own and other people's. With my own photos, sometimes it's not the holiday photos that are the best reminder - it's the everyday photos. For that reason I take lots of photographs of everyday things, and they're always interesting to look back on.

They show, instantly and amazingly, what has changed, and what has stayed the same.

Here, poignantly, is the Communist, who then had two legs, painting the garage in 2002:

And here are some buns that Emily made. It's impossible to tell how old this photo is, of course, but actually they were eaten long ago, in 2001:

And finally, here's our cat Froggie, asleep in a box on the windowsill in the office, in a photograph that could have been taken this afternoon.

But it wasn't: it was taken in 2002. Everything looks the same, including the cat.

We still have the same curtains, in a rather hideous shade of Seventies Yellow.

They are Seventies Yellow because they date from the Seventies, in fact. In one place there is patch which dates from where my brother's hamster escaped and ate a hole in the curtains, in something like 1972.

You can tell a lot from photos. Perhaps it's time for some new curtains.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I agree with you re: everyday photos. Especially when you look back on them in the future, there's something captivating about ordinary things.

6:37 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

My problem is that I forget to date the photos I take - kind of defeats the object. ;)

7:49 am  
Blogger Diz said...

Of course, according to the theory of our offspring, any new curtains will be green.

12:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home