Sunday, January 27, 2008

Yes or No?

I've always found the Harehills district of Leeds really depressing: it's one of the first things I remember thinking about Leeds, when I was very, very small. It mostly consists of row upon row of Victorian brick terraces and in those days they always seemed to be covered in thick smog from the coal fires. Where I live, a bit further out in the suburbs - and I know I'm lucky - there are lots of trees, and there are hardly any in Harehills, and not much grass either.

St James's Hospital, where the Communist is currently residing, is in Harehills and I hate going there - it has lots of memories for me, many of them bad. The only good ones are the medical roleplay I've done there: even then, I always hated the buildings where I was working.

The whole of Leeds seems to be a big building site at the moment, with lots of new buildings going up, and St James's Hospital is no exception: here's a new wing of it:


I can't work out whether I quite like it or whether I think it's hideous. I suppose I don't like the squareness but I quite like the green (I like green) and the green looks quite cheery against the blue sky (I like blue too) and I quite like the blue and cream oblongs underneath: they have a slightly thirties look to them and I like that. At least they've made a bit of an effort to stop it looking like the concrete lumps of a lot of the more recent buildings.

But it's so BIG. And it's so SQUARE. What do you think?

Of course it goes without saying that this isn't where the elderly patients are housed: they're in the totally hideous vileness of Beckett Wing. One good thing about this photograph was that I had to have my back to Beckett Wing in order to take it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, some hospitals are truly awful, for sure. There's a lot of (reasonably nice looking) big'ole Victorian hospitals near where I live in S.London.

I remember visiting my cousin at Sidcup Hospital a year or so again and it was horrid. St T's the other day wasn't so bad.

I would go with a tentative YES insofar as it's a vast improvement on the hideous 60s ones (like the wing you had your back to).

7:14 pm  
Blogger Malcolm Cinnamond said...

It's interesting and probably looked great on the drawing board, but I'm glad I don't live near it.

10:38 pm  
Blogger MrsG said...

It is certainly uh, blue... Isn't that the same hospital where Thackray Medical Museum is? Quite a change in style then - Gothic-Victorian horror-show to uh, blue...
I guess it's not so bad, considering.

11:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home