Thursday, December 27, 2007

Ellen Naomi Cohen

No, I don't expect you've heard of Ellen Naomi Cohen. But if you're old enough to remember a group called The Mamas and the Papas, you will know her as Mama Cass Elliot.

She was a large woman with a wonderful voice that just does it for me.

If you don't remember the group, I'm sure you'll know some of their songs - California Dreamin', Monday Monday and Dream a Little Dream of Me.

They had that essence-of-sixties cheering sound that just made my heart lift when I first heard them, and they still do.

I was listening to Liza Tarbuck on Radio Two on my way back from visiting the Communist today and suddenly she said "Well, I haven't heard this for years."

I hadn't either. It's It's Getting Better and it's SO sixties it's even got the word "groovy" in it. And I absolutely love it. Why? Dunno. Mock me if you like for my uncoolness, I don't care.

Mama Cass Elliot died of a heart attack in 1974, aged only thirty-something.

The only version I can find on Youtube is this one. I don't know what the accompanying video is at all, but it's truly terrible. Watch it with your eyes shut. Listen to her voice.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home