Thursday, December 20, 2007

Long, Long Time Ago

Here's a rare photograph from the last century. I haven't seen it for many, many years but some of my relatives kindly sent it to me.

I know it looks a bit like an illustration from a Janet and John book - and it was, indeed, 1966 (n.b. I was Very Young Indeed).

We were staying with some of my nicest relatives in an old-fashioned, and, to me, totally idyllic cottage in the Duddon Valley in the Lake District.

One day we opened the cottage door and a little black lamb walked in. This was, to me, the best thing in all the world: I was euphoric with happiness.

The lamb was subsequently rescued and taken to the farmer and bottle-fed and I was allowed to feed it. Unbridled joy! It actually takes a bit of looking to spot the lamb in this picture. My mother has no memory of the whole incident. But to me, it was one of the very best days of my childhood.

On the left is my cousin - the one who, sadly, has recently been diagnosed with cancer.

The baby is my brother Michael, sitting on my mother's knee: the Communist took the photo.

And Glasses, Orange Cardigan and Too Many Teeth is - - well - - me. No wonder I grew up hating that look. I went from small girl with sensible-sized teeth, blonde curly hair and no glasses to very slightly larger girl with huge teeth, much darker hair and enormous glasses.

Eventually I grew into the teeth, and actually they look fine now my face has grown to fit them. I've always hated the glasses. But now they're so much a part of me I don't think I could be without them.

One photo: so many memories, and so many strong emotions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home