Thursday, August 16, 2007

It's All She's Ever Wanted

"More emotion, Mum," said Emily. "Try it again. You're not tear-jerking enough."

"Okay," I said, "how about this? - - - It's - - sob - - all she's - - gulp - - ever wanted."

"Better," said Emily, "and then you've to tell her about all my achievements from age one, from my first word, the time I learned to tie my own shoe-laces, the day I learned to read, until she can stand it no more and gives in."

This was weeks ago, in Tenby, and we've been honing my performance ever since until now it's near-perfect and enough to make a whole rugby-team cry, never mind the Admissions Office at York University.

Emily had an offer of three Bs from York to do Archaeology. One of them had to be in History. One of her key European History exams was the day the Communist was first taken into hospital, and Emily was very upset about this when she did the exam. She had no memory of what she wrote and hence was bound to have done badly.

Emily and Gareth were going to the Bloodstock Open-Air festival today, until Saturday, and hence her plan was, after she had got the Dreadful Results, for me to ring up York University Admissions and alternatively wring their hearts and bore them to death until they agreed to let Emily come to their university.

However, I have missed my Dramatic Opportunity, because Emily went to school this morning and collected four Grade As.

So, many congratulations to Emily: she's very clever but she's worked very hard too and her results are well-deserved and anyone who says that A-levels in History, English Language, English Literature and General Studies are easy should jolly well try taking some.

As for the European History paper, she got 100% on it. And 100% on several other papers too. And I'll shut up boasting now. But she's my only child and this is My Moment To Boast and I'm sorry, you'll just have to bear with me.

3 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

It doesn't fall far from the tree, does it ?

Now if we were in America, you'd have the relevant bumper sticker on the car, matching family t-shirts with proud parent slogans on them and a huge graduation party (with no alcohol of course) to rub it in with the neighbours......sorry neighbors.

In lieu of all that, please pass on my sincere congratulations to Emily.

Ok, permission granted to Carry On Bragging.

Ian

9:41 pm  
Blogger MrsG said...

Ooh, yeah - bumper stickers... yikes. Thank god you have a classier sense of propriety here!
Huge congratulations to Emily (and to you - you must be SO proud!). York is just a stunning place to study archaeology, too!!

7:03 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Congratulations to Emily. She's done so well and you must be soooo proud!

6:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home