Saturday, June 16, 2007

Yesterday

It rained and it rained and it rained, as A. A. Milne once memorably wrote about the Flood in The House at Pooh Corner.

I was on my way to Huddersfield, where I am helping on a film, Babbling Fools, which is being made there. More of that in a future post.

I knew the weather was bad so set off at half-past seven for a journey which usually takes an hour. All was well on the M1 until I got to the usual exit, where the traffic jam tailed back right onto the motorway. So I carried on to the next exit, near Bretton Hall, and came off there.

Very slow and lots of water on the road - lots of spray - torrential rain - but I carried on slowly but surely until I reached Flockton where a harassed-looking policeman had put up a row of cones to block the road.

I turned off left and now everything suddenly became a bit different. Fields had become ponds full of surprised-looking dripping sheep. Water flowed down hills and gushed over walls. And every time there was a slight dip in the road, the road had become a stream of rushing water.

I carried on, driving through every stream across the road - and there were many - and turning left or right every time I found a Road Closed sign, which was often. On I went, without much of a clue where I was going, until finally I arrived at Emley. where I found a place to stop and look at the map, before driving slowly down into Huddersfield. It had taken me two hours, but could have been much worse, and it was fascinating to see how quickly the countryside was transformed into an alien landscape.

I watched a long, interesting and productive day's filming, and then I dodged the floods by coming home on the M62 and dodged the traffic jams by stopping at Hartshead Services and marvelling at their dried-up hot food.

I called in at the nursing home to see the Communist, who seemed a bit brighter and pleased to see me.

Gareth, as you may know by now, is the lovely fiance of lovely daughter Emily: he has lived with us for two years. He has been applying for jobs since finishing his Finals. Yesterday, in the downpour, he went for his first job interview, and got the job. He starts a week on Monday. Excellent.

I arrived home quite late and somewhat tired and just as I was about to go to bed, Emily rang with the interesting news that she and Gareth, on their way home from a friend's house, had run out of petrol.

It had been such a long day that one more bit to it really didn't matter so I set off to Scarcroft to collect them, and we all got home well after midnight.

As you'll know if you've read this blog before, I don't usually write it as a diary. But yesterday was unusual, and always interesting. I loved it all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Well I really do admire your bravery and for showing a complete disregard for your own well being.

No, not for going out in that awful weather, but for eating at a motorway service area !

Maybe you just stopped and LOOKED at the food ? If not, I await the medical update.

11:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home