Monday, June 12, 2006

Flagging

What does this mean?


Everywhere, aren't they? But what do they mean? Okay, there's the World Cup going on and we last won it in 1966. And who are "we", exactly? It wasn't me, I was too young to play. Was it you? No, I thought not. So, the people sporting these flags on their cars somehow think that by doing so they will become part of the "we" and when David Beckham finally raises the World Cup in the air and the papers the next day all have huge banner headlines about Forty Years On, then they will, in some small way, have been part of it.

Well, they won't. Supporting your local football team, taking pleasure in watching people you know play and improve, okay, fine, if you like that sort of thing. But don't kid yourself that this team called "England" is anything to do with you: it isn't, it's to do with huge big business. I'm not even complaining that footballers are paid too much - they are very highly skilled, and therefore in demand, and therefore paid accordingly.

It's a shame if the only way to feel we belong is by the old-fashioned method of "My country's better than yours". Worst-case scenario: England beat Germany in the final. Can you imagine the so-called jokes, the endless references to the Second World War, the jingoistic reporting? Second worst-case scenario: Germany beat England in the final. The endless jokes about German efficiency not paying off, the tasteless headlines all referring to the War and how this is Germany's revenge - - oh, I can't bear to think about it.

People do want to belong to a community and these days, too many don't feel that they do. So they are creating this artificial community of "EN-GER-LAND"-worshippers. Wouldn't it be great if all this wanting-to-belong could be harnessed and put to good use in people's local communities, instead of all this "we're better than you" nonsense?

Near where I live there is an excellent pub, the White House, of Oakwood, Leeds. Good food, pleasant atmosphere. I am particularly pleased with it at the moment for this reason alone:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, it's not the football I mind, it's the 'we'. 'We beat Serbia Montenegro'? No, we sat on our arses and drank beer and shouted while wearing a silly orange hat. Meanwhile some other people a long way away beat Serbia Montenegro.

My theory is that the less reason you have to feel good about yourself the more likely you are to claim you belong to a 'we' and nab the vicarious glory.

2:27 pm  
Blogger Hazel Donovan said...

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something which I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and extremely broad for me. I’m looking forward to your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!
car removal gympie
car removal rockhampton

2:57 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
Thank you and good luck.
scrap car buyer
cash for scrap cars brisbane

3:24 am  
Blogger Delight Car Removal said...

Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
cash for old cars
cash for junk cars

3:41 am  
Blogger Hashtag Car Removal said...

Hi, I am really glad I have found this info. Nowadays bloggers publish just about gossips and internet and this is actually irritating. A good site with interesting content, this is what I need. Thank you for keeping this web site, I'll be visiting it. Do you do newsletters? Can not find it.
cash for scrap cars sydney
car buyer in sydney

3:57 am  
Blogger Metalbiz said...

Truly, this article is really one of the very best in the history of articles. I am a antique ’Article’ collector and I sometimes read some new articles if I find them interesting. And I found this one pretty fascinating and it should go into my collection. Very good work.
cash for scrap cars beenleigh
wreckers brisbane

5:08 am  
Anonymous Quick cash for cars Qld said...

Great content and many informative kudos to the author and hats off to the writing. We are cash for cars service doing car removal as well hand to hand service to make the car owner's job easy and that goes with the individual also. If in need of any assistance do let us know. We are ready to serve you.

2:04 pm  
Anonymous Amelia Leo said...

Great information you shared with us I really thank full to you for this content is very helpful for me to keep up this hard work. You want a car but budget problem cash for cars have solution of this problem don’t worry you just sell your old vehicle cash for car sunshine coast we give valuable price to our customers Brisbane wreckers

7:09 am  
Blogger HireCars said...

Great blog! I’m impressed. Keep sharing I really appreciate this effort have a nice day thank you. Hire cars to provide the best services of rental cars in Dubai. Such an affordable price and a lot of luxurious cars like Lamborghini. You can contact us anytime we will always be ready to serve you.
dubai lamborghini rental

6:39 am  
Anonymous hadi hussaini said...

great work

9:04 am  
Anonymous Unwanted Car Buyer said...

great info

9:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home