Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Aaaaaaaaah

I have always been very cautious of anything that's supposed to be cute. I blame Walt Disney (though, okay, I blame Walt Disney for a lot of things). I associate cuteness with cruelty and terror.

The cartoons of my childhood were full of cute creatures to which terrible things were about to happen. Even Tintin (not Walt's fault this time, what a shame) which I couldn't either read or watch in case something happened to the little dog.

As an adult, I thought I had become immune, hardened to it through years of gritting my teeth and looking away. Small kitten in big basket? Pah. Sleeping puppies? So what? Baby elephant? - - Aaaah, look - - no, sorry, the baby elephant is not a good example because baby elephants are always cute.

But then a friend of mine (who shall remain anonymous, because I am really kind) sent me the link to Cute Overload. And I looked at it and went "Hah! I am totally immune to all this sort of thing so I can look with no danger of becoming addictaaaaah! LOOK how SWEET! But that's just ONE picture and I am immune to the rest, just watch me, I can look without any danger whatevaaaaaaaaaaaaaah just LOOK at THAT! LOOK AT ITS TAIL! AAAAAAAH!"

The site is gloriously overwritten. "If you lean really close to the screen, you can snorgle her ears". And you can learn all about the Rules of Cuteness.

You think it's just one moment, just one visit - - and then you find yourself surfing the net, late at night, and you think oh well, one more look won't hurt, nobody will know, and perhaps there'll be some new pictures - - and that's it. Hooked.

Then you try to take a perfectly ordinary photograph of Graham and Christine's dog Custard and it turns out like this.

It's a slippery slope. And I'm not even trying to stop sliding.

5 Comments:

Blogger Daphne said...

Oh look, what an intelligent comment (above). I have changed the settings slightly to keep the spammers at bay.
Real people will still be able to leave comments!

10:25 pm  
Blogger John said...

Cuteness Rule 6 [subsection 2], cute dogs must need sit in teacups. Oh - er... or was that kittens?

10:57 am  
Blogger John said...

mind you this dog could very well be sitting on a kitten for all we know. Aha! Maybe Cuteness Overload has a Dark Side after all.

10:59 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

It would need to be a very big teacup. Custard is some kind of Belgian sheepdog and is the size of a small cow. If he was sitting on a kitten, we would never know.

5:23 pm  
Blogger John said...

I feel if you call you dog Custard you are just asking for a visit from the Cuteness Police.

5:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home