Monday, December 27, 2010

Dream Verse

When we first used to go to Tenby, when I was nine, we used to go for two weeks.

I would have a fantastic time during the first week, but the second week was always slightly marred by the fact that I would burst into tears several times a day because I didn't want to go home.

I still feel that way, I must say!

We had a really fantastic Christmas there - just what we all needed after a year that's been very difficult in some ways. Very grateful thanks to Roger and Elizabeth Howells, Kt Morgan, and all the staff of Park Hotel, who are both very efficient and delightfully friendly too.

Now then. I've mentioned before on this blog that very occasionally I dream in verse. This morning I woke up with a limerick, completely formed in my head, said it out loud to Stephen and immediately wrote it down before it vanished in that way that dreams do.

I can see some of the sources of it - - - I work with actors, of course, and they do a lot of improvisation and devised work. Yesterday we passed the Pembrokeshire Pie Shop in Tenby and had a conversation about pies.

And I woke up with this!

"An actor who's good at devising
Was asked to do something surprising.
With his body alone
He enacted a phone
And a horse; and an oven with pies in."

Now I'd never had thought of that whilst conscious. I think I must be more clever asleep than awake. (Ohh, I do leave myself wide open, don't I?)

4 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Too easy.....I'll be kind.

Good limerick though. Now could you please dream about Saturdays lottery numbers, in verse or not,

9:17 pm  
Anonymous Ruth said...

Oh no, I really hope no casting directors reading your blog get ideas of fiendish things to ask us actors to do at next audition and have expectations of major physical depictions of bizarre combinations of things.

Nice limerick.

9:40 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

A lady swimmer from Leeds
Was obsessive about her speeds
While checking her time
She strayed off line
And got tangled up in the reeds

12:53 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

While swimming in Welsh waters, Daphne
Acquired a cramp in her caphne;
She rubbed it out well
and said "Go to hell!
I stayed in the ocean longer than all the rest of you by haphne!"

(Works better with an American accent even if the last line is much too long. LOL!)

Verification word is vitzat. I always enjoy a vitzat to your blog.

1:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home