Friday, December 24, 2010

Sand and Snow and a very Merry Christmas to all

Ahh yes, this is how I remember Florida. Palm trees. Sunshine. White sand.

Actually this is Tenby, Pembrokeshire, South Wales, Great Britain, today, Christmas Eve 2010. The white at the foot of the tree is, of course, snow. (I liked Jan Blawat's comment on my post of yesterday about how we're like palm trees - thank you!)

Tenby has been at its stunning best today. It's very slippy underfoot so we had to take a lot of care, but Stephen and I wandered all around Tenby this morning.

Here's the Goscar Rock on North Beach:

Here's the middle beach of Tenby's three beaches, St Catherine's Beach:

Here's the glorious long strip of golden sand that is South Beach, with Caldey Island in the distance:

The last few weeks have been really difficult and I haven't even dared to look forward to this little holiday, because the weather's been so bad that I didn't think we'd ever get here.

But, as it has done every time we've visited - at least once a year since 1966! - Tenby is working its magic.

The air is cold and clear and from North Beach this morning we could see Worm's Head clearly in the distance - it's about forty miles round the coast. I've wanted to visit it for years and years and this year Silverback and I were there in May, on the first really hot and gloriously sunny day of the year. So I always think of that visit when I see it across from Tenby now - - and it was so strange to see it covered in sparkling snow this morning!

What a glorious place this is to spend Christmas.

Wherever you are tomorrow, I hope you will have a lovely time.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Ruth said...

It is so achingly beautiful.
Here's hoping your xmas is splendid and the new year brings much peace and happiness to the whole family.

6:17 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Have a lovely Xmas Day! Spare a thought for the hotel's kitchen staff and perhaps get in there to help. Marigolds on and let them have a break. It's what Jesus would have wanted. Ho! Ho! Ho!

1:49 am  
Blogger Daphne said...

Ruth - thank you, and I think "achingly beautiful" is a perfect description.
YP - we have indeed had a lovely Christmas Day. Strangely the kitchen staff seem to think that Jesus wants us to keep out of their way. And I must say they've done a wonderful job without our help.

9:15 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home