Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Dreaming Again

I think I've said before that sometimes I dream little verses, and wake up with them fully formed in my head.

I don't know why my subconscious mind puts things in verse. Why can't it put them in great poetry, or sublime oil paintings? I am a bit embarrassed about the whole thing really.

But I woke up this morning at half past six with this:

When I am old, and you are dead
I shall not care what things are said
I shall not care what things are done
I shall not care for anyone.

I wasn't thinking of any person in particular, or any particular event: I just had a rather gloomy feeling about the passage of time.

Oh well, at least it was only one short verse. If they get any longer, or more frequent, I think I'll just be keeping quiet about it in case the men in white coats come calling.

7 Comments:

Blogger Grumpy Old Ken said...

How strange. The mind is very strange. The verse thing is unusual too.

7:21 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

When I am dead and dream no more,
And you are on the other shore,
I'll think of Leeds and London's fog
And smile with God about your blog.

8:41 pm  
Anonymous ruth said...

As subconscious verses go I would say yours is excellent, albeit (as you say) a little gloomy. I hope your waking hours are a little cheerier.

8:52 pm  
Blogger Silverback said...

Keep a pen and pad beside the bed and in no time you'll have enough to fill a book of verse.......and a better book than most on the market.

And then I can say I discovered you....and get 25%.

Yeah, dream on !

9:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I never ever ever remember anyof my sleep writing. I'm so jealous.

10:34 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Ken - - yes, I think many would agree that my mind is very strange!! And the verse thing is not unusual for me - it's happened all my life from time to time.
Bob - most enjoyable, thank you.
Ruth - - thank you - - yes, it WAS rather gloomy, I do a lot of worrying in my sleep!
Silverback - thank you - - find a publisher and the 25% is yours!
Mike - I wouldn't remember it for long - I do keep a pen and paper by the bed because if I didn't write it instantly it would vanish!

10:46 pm  
Blogger Dumdad said...

The gloomy passage of time indeed, and yet the alternative is death. But I know the feeling.

Word veri: Mooni

Rather apt!

9:20 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home