Saturday, August 30, 2008

A New and Unusual Use of the Word "By"

I saw this on television. And I don't understand it.



Firstly, I don't understand the concept behind this kind of marketing idea, which HAS to be, "If I buy this perfume I will be as rich, beautiful, successful etc as Kate Moss."

If I buy some, then do I have to go out with some dull booze'n'druggie kind of person and leave posh clubs late at night looking very much the worse for wear?

But actually, the main thing is this. In what sense, preceisely, is this perfume "by" Kate Moss? Did she frolic through the fields picking flowers, dry them and mix them expertly to create this fragrance? Or did she even go into a lab and mix some synthetic smells to make it? I don't think she did, and neither do you. So does anyone? How can it be "by" Kate Moss?

If Amy Winehouse brings out a perfume, I won't be rushing to buy it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

To be fair, most perfumes are advertised like that.....Obsession by Calvin Klein, Notorious by Ralph Lauren, Pissed Out Of My Mind by Pete Doherty.

If Ms. Whinehouse brought out a perfume I suspect you'd only get the full benefit by injecting it.

Oh get me !

12:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate Moss is a brand. And there you were thinking she was a person. Of course she is also a person. Presumably for some people she is an aspirational person. They want to look like her, dress like her, smell like her. She might even have had a tiny bit of input as to the choice of this scent. But I think the reason why you don't understand this kind of marketing idea is because you are not susceptible to it. Mind you, those who are susceptible also don't understand otherwise they wouldn't fall for it.

8:35 am  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

(continuing from Ruth's comment) Plus they want to be alluring like her, attract men like her, have as much exciting, put out the candle, sex as they think she must be having because she is so beautiful and sophisticated (unlike most of them).

5:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally, I don't like Kate Moss, so that would put me off even trying her perfume. I really, really don't want to be like her. I don't admire her looks and I think she looks like a sulky schoolgirl most of the time.

The only thing I envy her for is that she once went out with Johnny Depp. ;)

I like perfumes by Jo Malone, and yes, she does mix her own. She is actually a perfumier. That's not why I like them, I like them because they are delightful. Four of my favourite perfumes are Jo Malone. Pomegranite Noir! MMmmmmmm!!

2:35 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home