Sunday, August 17, 2008

Graffiti

In some pantomime years ago the baddy - one half of an Italian gangster-style double act - was called Graffiti.

The entire point of this name was so that his partner in crime could turn to him dramatically as the goodies closed in, and say,

"Graffiti, the writing is on the wall!"

Brought the house down every night. No gag like a cheap gag.

Anyway, I usually don't like graffiti of the "Daz and Shaz Were 'Ere" type. It's usually dull to read and looks a mess.

And, of course, sometimes you get political graffiti "I love Gordon Brown" or "Deirdre Barlow is Innocent". Perhaps those two aren't good examples.

Then, just occasionally, you get graffiti that is well-done, entertaining and can really be described as art, such as the works of Banksy.

But then there's this, which I found in Roundhay Park, on one of the three dozen or so notices that they've set up round the lake to warn you that water is wet and quite deep and that if you jump in and lie at the bottom and breathe in then it won't be good for you.

"I Like Toast".

It's a whole new genre of graffiti. It could, perhaps, be at the cutting edge of a whole new movement in writing on walls. What next? "Scrambled Eggs for Me, Please!" or "Mine's a Bacon Sandwich".

Remember, you saw it here first.

10 Comments:

Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

This started 40 or 50 years when people began writing on the walls of bathroom stalls, "Frodo lives!"

10:06 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Context is everything.

10:06 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

I have mentioned this before... Where the M18 meets the M1 there is a concrete underpass where for twenty five years I would pass this grafittied declaration in white paint - "I Love Janice". About three years ago "they" decided to blast it off but if you look carefully you can still see the ghosts of those words. I wonder where Janice is now and I wonder where the midnight vandal/lover has gone.

10:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FLAN?

10:52 pm  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

Ranelagh, Dublin, had the line "DANGER! CABBAGE!" lo some fifteen years ago. And then there's "Far away is close at hand in images of elsewhere," by The Master Of Paddington, allegedly, from the 1960s somewhere in Paddington Station.

11:11 pm  
Blogger Debby said...

I laughed right out loud when I saw the picture of the grafiti.

I like toast, especially with 'your' bread and 'your' butter. I'm just not sure I'd want to proclaim it on a sign. I mean, is that the most important thing in the grafiti artists life at the moment? Toast?

That's either really good, or really bad. I'm not sure which!

It made me smile though and that's always a good thing!

2:10 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/graffiti.png

7:15 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

At the time of that storyline in Coronation Street, I printed off a 'Free Deirdre Barlow' banner and stuck it on the staffroom wall - mainly to annoy the current head teacher who was making my life a misery. It worked. ;)

8:37 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember when someone had written FREE TIBET on one of the walls at York Uni, and someone else had written underneath "with every Big Mac"

12:50 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

when I was at York one of the walls (rats, I can't remember the name of the cut-through we weren't supposed to go down at night) had "ah goo the sef" on it. Originally it was "ah good the sea" which made hardly any more sense...

The residents of Tang Hall were a bit more politicised: "Eat work consume die We have been conned"

Julie

10:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home