Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Shaking

Five to one this morning and what else would I be doing but feeding the three geckos? They are leopard geckos, very tame and very cute, and I have trained them to take waxworms from my fingers, and if you think this is an odd thing to be doing at that time of night then of course you're entitled to your opinion, but it's normal for me.

There was a small but strange noise. I couldn't work out what it was so rushed round the upstairs rooms for a few seconds looking for burglars, but luckily finding none.

It happened again - slightly louder this time. It made me feel uneasy. I went into the bathroom in case it came from there - a dragon crawling out of the toilet, or something - and what I found was that Gareth's razor had fallen into the sink.

I still didn't twig, but then it happened again, louder, scarier. I went (oh all right, ran, like a Very Scared Thing) into the bedroom and there was Stephen getting out of bed, looking very sleepy and confused.

Now Stephen sleeps like a man in a coma. One time in a ferocious storm a tree was struck by lightning and crashed to the ground outside the window where he continued blissfully sleeping.

So now I knew that something very odd had happened. The combination of Stephen waking up and the feeling of uneasiness led me to go - - aha! Earthquake!

And so it proved. I remember experiencing two previous earthquakes, and they both gave me this strange feeling of uneasiness.

When I checked it out this morning it turned out to be 5.3 on the Richter Scale - the biggest in Britain since 1984 but, okay, not that big.

But when I looked for my slippers, which I had placed beside the bed last night before starting my gecko-feeding exploits, they were now under the bed and squashed - it's the type with drawers underneath and the earthquake had raised it in the air, moved it and dropped it on my slippers!

I rather like unusual natural phenomena, such as violent storms, as long as I'm safely inside. But even a minor earthquake like this feels so strange - I can't imagine what it must be like to be involved in a major one.

3 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Middle of the night, husband in bed, lots of movement ?

Oh come on, SOMEBODY say it ???

4:22 am  
Blogger MrsG said...

I was perversely pleased that it was big enough to actually feel... Coming from where I do, I find the hype and excitement over a 2.1 to be overrated - a 5.3 is certainly worth the headlines!

The Dude has still never felt one, but I lived through a 7.1 - surely that balances between us??

9:53 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I slept through it. Not sure it was as pronounced down south as it was up north.

11:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home