Sunday, April 19, 2009

The First Christmas Dinner of 2009

Ah yes, the traditional Christmas turkey, all ready to be roasted. Though I must say the sun's never been streaming in through the windows before when I've got up early to put it in the oven.


We decided to have Christmas dinner yesterday. Why? Well, Silverback was in Florida last Christmas, suffering blue skies, sunshine, palm trees and temperatures in the eighties and nineties. Not a proper Christmas with grey British drizzle at all.

We all like Christmas dinner and I suggested to Silverback that we could have another one when he came back to Leeds. I don't know whether he took me seriously at the time, but verily 'tis the case that when I come up with some Cunning Plan or other, I generally carry it through.

We had a little Christmas tree, of course, and raided our ancient Christmas Decorations box for tinsel and suchlike, and had some tiny presents.

A few chocolate Easter bunnies snuck into the picture, but at least they're red and gold which are Christmassy kind of colours.

There were eight of us in total - Stephen and me, Silverback of course, my mother, our friend David, Olli and Gareth and their friend Joanne.

It was great fun. After the meal, we watched a video, made in 2004 but only now come to light, of our family on holiday in Tenby. There was the Communist, dancing with my mother in the hotel ballroom, as they had done every year since 1965.

It seemed so everyday - and, indeed, for years and years, it was. It made me cry, of course - and yet it was great to see it, and to see him, a sprightly young thing of eighty, before he became ill in 2006.

It was a lovely day - many thanks to all who took part in it.

As for the weather - - always unpredictable, the sun shone throughout. Though there was some snow on the old pear tree at the bottom of the garden.

Happy Boxing Day, everyone.

3 Comments:

Blogger Debby said...

You lost me right after that first picture. Bacon on a bird. I can think of nothing better!! I think there might have been words after that, maybe more pictures. I really don't know.

7:33 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

It's nice to do silly things. Staid maturity or doing the done thing is a recipe for a dull life. So Season's Greetings! Next time why not hire a snow machine -only £250 an hour from Pudding Enterprises Ltd.

8:45 pm  
Anonymous Milo said...

Looked like you all had a good time and yes, the weather was glorious wasn't it? I've been the most terrible hermit this weekend. Home alone all weekend and left the house once, yesterday, for about half an hour. Rather sad really but I needed some downtime. Busy this coming week and following weekend as it's my birthday! :P

12:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home