Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Nobody likes it

Here it is in my slightly simplified version:

london 00000
2012

Ken Livingstone doesn't like it, Tessa Jowell pretended she likes it but I bet she doesn't, I don't like it and neither do you, I suspect. The new Olympic logo.

Apparently Sebastian Coe has to raise half the budget for the 2012 Olympic Games in London from "merchandising" - which means everyone in the country has to buy about three T-shirts and one baseball cap with the Olympic logo on it.

So, you would think, therefore, that if they were going to spend four hundred grand on the design, and if it was really REALLY important that people bought things with this logo on them, they would maybe do a bit of a trial and pick one that almost everybody liked. Not one that the experts in logo-design liked, I point out. Or how about a competition? That would have been quite fun and made us all feel involved.

Now we just feel cross. The Olympic Games are costing a fortune. Us lot Up North don't feel the Games have much connection with us anyway. And now there's this crap design for the logo - already there are thousands of signatures on a petition to change it - and we're going to see it bloody everywhere for the next five years. FIVE YEARS!

The interesting thing is, they've come up with a design that everyone dislikes (correct me if I'm wrong and you like it, please) and, cleverly, everyone has a different reason for disliking it. Here are some I've heard:

don't like the colours
looks rather nineteen-eighties
looks like an unfinished jigsaw
has nothing to do with London
trying to hard to appeal to Youth and Youth always suss this and aren't interested
the supposed appeal to Youth alienates everyone over fourteen
you can't read the 2012 bit
it looks like a couple having sex (I make no comment)
it looks like the Nazi insignia
the animated version makes people with epilepsy have fits
it just looks a mess

The nation hasn't felt so united since the Second World War.
Object of Olympic Games achieved! Hurrah!

6 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

Well each to their own and I have to say I love it. It's modern, non threatening and it shows the UK in a progressive light. It's fun and will appeal to Youth the world over. It's........oh ok I can't keep this up any more.

It's...well to be technical, it's crap. The animated one makes my eyes burn and my brain go awol.

I think it should be beamed onto the walls of Paris Hilton's prison cell for the next 21 days. That should make the punishment more appropriate.

The thing is, just about every one of the ones submitted to the BBC web site is so much better.

That says it all. Oh and I like yours better too, Daphne.

12:04 am  
Blogger MrsG said...

Oh my god isn't it awful?!? I work with designers and artists and everyone was open-mouthed and horrified (and aghast at the pricetag). It was only last night, reading an article about it all, that I realised it was supposed to say '2012' - now how is that a successful logo if I have to be told what it is supposed to say?! Oh, and it causes seizures. A resounding success!

9:24 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The 1984 logo for the London youth branch of the Waffen SS. Designed by a local photocopying shop.

10:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's terrible and yet a wonderful emblem for modern Britain: a hugely expensive [and truly mediocre] symbol of something that nobody really wanted but which was foisted upon them by an image-obsessed administration.
My only regret is that the architects of the Tiananmen massacre will put us in the shade when it ocmes to staging an Olympics.

Michael in Sydney

11:17 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it disturbing because it doesn't even look like a couple consensually having sex... whichever way you look at it, one of them's getting raped :/

As Gareth points out, the deficit caused by no-one buying the crap will be replenished by money stolen from charities for small blind children.

6:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The consensus of opinion down 'ere is that it looks like a pixillated (oops, spelling?) Lisa Simpson doing something unmentionable

8:34 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home