Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Christmas Cookery

Captain James Cook, eighteenth-century explorer and adventurer, was born in October 1728 at Marton-in-Cleveland but first went to sea from the delightful North Yorkshire port of Whitby.

Whitby is always worth a visit – it’s very pretty with lots going on. Beautiful beaches, lovely walks, Goth shops, jet workshops, Dracula everywhere and of course the Captain Cook Museum which sadly isn’t open all year but when I went there I found it fascinating – there are some of his letters to relatives there and it was very interesting to read them.

Of course, Whitby has so much respect for its famous explorer that it has commemorated Captain Cook with a magnificent statue.

Here’s a photo of the statue that Gareth took last weekend.

When I read some of Cook’s letters I thought he came over as a thoroughly decent chap. I think he might have liked his new hat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home