Sunday, July 30, 2006

Notices I noticed

Here are some notices that interested me:


No dogs allowed on North Beach as it's a Blue Flag beach, so this one's owners had left it behind. At least it was in the shade with some water. I have mixed feelings about dogs on beaches - I know they can be a health hazard, but not half as much as some people. A well-controlled dog running on a beach exudes such joy it's hard not to feel cheered by it.

This was on a coach window - - - hmmm - - -

In the shop on Caldey Island I found Emily and Gareth laughing at this:

Here's an enjoyably precise label at Silent World Aquarium:


Here's some infuriating Municipal Apostrophe Abuse:


And finally, when I was teaching English I would have got a whole lesson out of this one:

Okay, there's the spelling of Whippy and the unnecessary apostrophe in LOLLIE'S, but what does the writer think that the speech marks are for? Emphasis, perhaps?

Oh, I know I'm a sad old pedant and only a couple of changes in the Rules of Punctuation could put a stop to me, and they would be these:

1) Apostrophes, or Apostrophe's as we shall now call them, are for decorative purposes only and may be inserted in any word at random.

2) Speech marks are double apostrophes and are therefore held to be doubly decorative. Again, they may be inserted before or after any word or phrase deemed to be uninteresting without them. "Concrete" is a good example. "Income tax forms" is another.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ailbhe said...

They left it behind? *sad*

11:02 pm  
Blogger Daphne said...

Yes, they jolly well did, while they went on the beach. Better to leave it in the shade with some water than in a hot car, I suppose, but I still felt sorry for the poor dog.

8:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home