Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Paris au printemps


Well of course you recognise it - the Eiffel Tower, last June: I was leaning against the Arc de Triomphe and suddenly Gareth and Emily hove into view, so I just clicked the camera and here it is. All the atmosphere of France captured in one photograph! Men selling onions, accordion players, Breton dancers, everyone in striped T-shirts, bottles of red wine, baguettes - -

Oh all right then, it's Blackpool. For some reason none of the girls wearing pink T-shirts with "Bev's Hen Party" on them was in evidence.

The thing is, I've been to Blackpool several times: it's tacky and cheesy and fun. There's a great view from the top of the Blackpool Tower. And the reason I don't have a photograph of the Eiffel Tower is because I've never been to Paris.

"You've never been to Paris?" - - Yes, a chorus of astonishment. But the thing is, given the chance of a bit of holiday, I'd always rather head for the countryside than the city, and so over the years I've made lots of little choices and they've never been Paris: and yet I've always wanted to go there because I love art galleries and museums and, er, towers.

Next week I'm going to Paris! Yippee!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah Paris; I remember it well. The art galleries, Notre Dame, the arc de triomphe, the unforgettable odour of the sewers (ask Gareth)

12:00 am  
Blogger John said...

"the best thing about going up the Eiffel Tower is that it's about the only place in Paris where you can't see the Eiffel Tower" - some travel book, I forget which

12:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been undressed by kings, seen a thousand things that a woman ain't meant to see 'I've been to Paradiser' but I've never been to me. Or Paris for that matter.

2:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home