Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Two Years

It's two years today since the Communist died.

Here he is, with two of his very favourite ladies: my mother on the right and my mum's schoolfriend Amy on the left. 25th June, 2006. Four and a half years ago. Wow. They would all have been eighty-two then.

They were on the little train on the Eskdale to Ravenglass Railway in the Lake District - we were having a delightful holiday at a lovely cottage near Broughton-in-Furness.

I remember taking the photo and thinking, even as I took it - this is both a very ordinary photo, and a very special photo too.

Ordinary, because there'd been hundreds of them taken, together, and with other members of their families, in all sorts of places, throughout their long lives.

Special, because I knew, even then, that it would be one of the last ones of all three of them together, having fun, in a place they loved.

Even at the time, I valued it. Now, of course, I value it even more.

I miss him so much. What would he say to that? "Yes, quite right, so you should."

I can hear him saying it.

I miss him so much.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Jeni Wren said...

Big hugs. Can't believe it's been 2 years. xxx

7:51 pm  
Anonymous Ruth said...

I believe everyone who knew him misses the Communist but I doubt if anyone will miss him in the same way as you do. Anniversaries are hard aren't they?

I'm thinking of you today.

7:53 pm  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Yes, I understand.

8:49 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

These two years have passed very quickly. My thoughts are with you today.

12:20 am  
Blogger Ailbhe said...

You're the second person on my twitter list to have lost a father on that date. I don't think you have anything else in common, but I keep thinking of both of you.

10:26 am  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

My condolences - even after twenty four months. When someone you really love dies, the grieving is forever, though sometimes, if you're lucky, that grief will occasionally slink back into the shadows - at least for a while.

4:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home