Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Winter Light

It's not been much of a summer. Sometimes it's hard to remember it's summer at all. There's been the occasional sunnyish day, but - apart from a few days in June - no prolonged period of days when you wake up knowing that it will be gloriously sunny for what seems like ever and ever.

I remember one of those days, years ago, when I woke to a clear blue sky and the sound of a baby dragon flying across it, with heavy breathing - - pshhhh - - pshhhh. I looked up and there was a striped hot-air balloon gliding gently across a blue, translucent sky. I knew that it would be one of those long, sunny days that seem to last forever.

But it is summer - even though, when I finally got round to trying to buy some summer clothes this week, the shops all seem to think it's autumn.

And it's hard to imagine that our front garden ever looked like this:

And it's even harder to imagine the winter light. Here's my favourite sunrise of last winter: January 14th, at Walton Hall near Wakefield:

And here, again at Walton Hall, is a gardener in the early-morning light:

I love that winter light - - but I prefer the summer light. When we get it.
I do hope we have some more of it, before winter comes again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

As it happens - today - Wednesday - is meant to be glorious. Time to get out the old bikini for your afternoon stroll to the local shops. After all, we only live once.

12:17 am  
Anonymous Milo said...

Loved the photos!

Is hot and sunny in London today but I know this is the exception rather than the rule. Travelling on the tube to work normally (today is my last day of holiday) I hate the temperature being too high.

Autumn is my favourite season. I like dark blue skies, a cool, autumnal wind, leaves on the ground. That really is my favourite time of year.

I've been lucky enough to spend a year in New England and also a year in Japan - both of which have phenomenal autumns (in terms of foliage, etc). Very fond memories of both.

11:01 am  
Blogger Jennytc said...

Our summer this year reminds me of why Keith and I wanted to go and live in France!

11:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home