Saturday, August 22, 2009

Time Flies

I bought this clock in 1982, from a catalogue one of my teaching colleagues had brought to school. I'd always wanted a clock like this - I've always liked big, plain, railway-clock type clocks. It cost £15 and it has been great - it has never given me any trouble, other than needing its battery to be replaced occasionally.

It has hung on the wall above the television ever since we moved back into this house in 1999. It just shows the time, very accurately. That's all I ask of it. It doesn't do anything else.

And then, last night, quite suddenly, it did.

It was quite late and Stephen had gone to bed so I was alone in the house and just catching up on some Coronation Street before going to bed.

As the end credits began, the clock flew off the wall and landed on its front on the floor. The battery came out and landed next to it.

When I came down from the ceiling, I went over to look at it. The glass hadn't broken and it seemed fine - apart from the battery having come out.

I put the battery back and the clock started going again and has been working fine ever since.

Then I started to try to puzzle out what could possibly have caused it.

The clock was hanging on one of those V-shaped hooks, and the hook hadn't broken.

On the back of the clock is a metal loop to hang a hook, and that hadn't broken either.

So, in order for the clock to come off the hook, it would have had to move upwards and outwards. And it's a heavy clock, made of solid wood and metal.

Now then, okay, my best (and only!) rational explanation is that the battery somehow came out of its casing with a springing action that catapulted the clock upwards and outwards at just the right angle.

And, as Sherlock Holmes once remarked, once you've eliminated all other lines of enquiry, then the remaining solution, no matter how strange, must be the correct one.

Of course, it could have been the Communist, trying to contact me from the Other Side. He never liked Coronation Street and heartily disapproved of me watching it, even though he once played the magistrate who sent a young Steve McDonald to jail.

But if it was him, he'll be mightily annoyed, since he never believed in any kind of Other Side. And I don't think I do either.

But was I spooked? You bet I was.

Happy Saturday from Daphne here at Poltergeist Towers. And thanks to Silverback for giving me the title for this post.

4 Comments:

Anonymous ruth said...

I think I may have described to you before some of the strange happenings I endured after my mother and then my father died. None of them had completely rational explanations but I like your reference to Sherlock Holmes methodology. Whatever the cause it must have been pretty scary.

2:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting that your Dad was once in Corrie and that was the show of choice on the TV....although I do like Ruth's facebook comment re revenge of the wasp too ;o) Ghost Wasp!

2:51 pm  
Anonymous Mike Deakin said...

I'm going with a seismic disturbance in the force. It's as good an explanation as any other.

4:04 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

Ever heard of the expression "clocking off"? Well your clock quite literally clocked off. Like Nessie and The Beast of Bodmin, this will remain one of the mysteries of the universe...though it may be worth considering changing the title of your blog to "My Dad's A Poltergeist"...just in case.

10:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home