Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The Best T-Shirt

During the television coverage I saw a row of T-shirts in a shop. The best one was a black T-shirt with the message:

Obama is the New Black


Glorious!

Anyway, there is a crucial difference between President Obama and the other presidents there've been in recent chunks of my lifetime. And it's got nothing to do with his colour.

It's that he passes the Green Sofa Test.

Now I am very fond of the green leather sofa in our living-room and I'm choosy about whom I invite to sit on it. I haven't invited any other Presidents of the United States round at all. I did think about inviting Bill Clinton, but he spoiled his chances with all that stuff about dry-cleaning and Monica Lewinsky.

With most of them, you just take one look and think "But can't everyone SEE? Complete crook!"

It's different with Barack, as I feel I can now call him, since I'm about to invite him round for coffee. Or tea, if he prefers to try something a bit more British.

I thinkl he would be interesting to talk to, and have a sense of humour, and that you could have a proper conversation with him. I liked it when he stumbled nervously as he was sworn in. I hate people who have too much slickness about them - you just can't trust them.

So, there we are, President Obama - my invitation's on the table. Along with the custard creams. Not the Jaffa cakes though: Silverback will be back from America before too long so I'm saving those for him.

6 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

No one from The Colonies is getting their hands on MY jaffa cakes.

I'd throw them into the River Aire before I'd let that happen.....and toss in a few tea bags after them just for historical significance.

7:22 pm  
Blogger Kim said...

ohhh

I soooo want one :D

XxX

10:18 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

I thinkl he would, too!

It wasn't Obama who stumbled. The Chief Justice stumbled trying to say the oath from memory and put the word "faithfully" in the wrong place, and it wasn't what Mr. Obama was expecting. Former Chief Justices have used a little card with the words on it.

11:21 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

Rather like when Diana said "Charles Arthur Philip George" at the wedding...*exactly* like that.

11:22 pm  
Blogger Yorkshire Pudding said...

What is this new verb "thinkl" you have coined? Tut tut dear - you are slipping just like Obama at the inauguration!

11:44 pm  
Blogger rhymeswithplague said...

thinkl rhymes with tinkle and when you say something like that, urine real trouble.

12:16 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home