Saturday, August 23, 2008

The First Time - - - and the Second Time - -

It's strange how you don't hear a song for ages and ages, and then suddenly hear it twice in one day.

The two versions I heard were X-Factor winner Leona Lewis's version:



and I also heard Roberta Flack's 1972 version:



So, which do you prefer? Okay, perhaps you hate the song: I love it, absolutely love it. There is a big place in my heart for sentimental ballads and this one gets me every time.

I think Leona Lewis has a great voice, and I think she sings it very well. But Roberta Flack's version is simpler, and gives me goosebumps every time I hear her beautiful voice. So, for me, this is the better version. What do you think?

2 Comments:

Blogger Silverback said...

I'm always big on originals and when the alternative is an X Factor winner, then there is even less of a comparison.

It's always been one of my favs too (since I heard it 36 years ago in the Clint Eastwood movie Play Misty For Me) but I hate it when others copy it. Yes it's so slow you used to have to check that the phonograph hadn't stopped but it's still a nerve tingler after all these years.

2:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you - Roberta Flack's is the one. Leona's is ponderous. So much slower (in fact a full 17 seconds slower) and the hefty orchestration is unnecessary for the simple heartfelt sentiments of the song.

And, like Silverback, I remember it from the splendid 'Play Misty For Me' - Clint has good taste!

8:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home